[Download a PDF Copy for Print]
10 to 12 months Before Your Wedding
- Tell your parents, important family members, and close friends the good news!
- Arrange for your families to meet, if they haven't done so already.
- Announce your engagement– either in the newspaper, on a wedding website with an email sent out to all your friends, or in the most traditional way, with mailed engagement announcements.
- Have an engagement party, if you'd like.
- Envision the theme and tone of your wedding: Formal or casual? Day or evening? Religious or secular?
- Set your budget.
- Decide who's paying for the wedding, or who's going to contribute and what.
- Start your guest list.
- Select date and time (have backup dates in mind, in case a key element is unavailable).
- Select and reserve your ceremony and reception sites.
- Choose and book Officiant.
- Choose bridesmaids, groomsmen, and ushers.
- Meet with florists, caterers, and musicians.
8 to 10 Months Before Your Wedding
- Shop for and order your wedding dress and accessories, including veil, gloves and shoes.
- Book wedding florist and choose arrangements.
- Book your musicians and/or DJ for both ceremony and reception.
- Select and confirm your wedding photographer (and your videographer, if you're using one.)
- Plan your honeymoon.
- Shop for and order your bridesmaid dresses
- If you're making your own wedding favors, start doing so now.
- Meet with wedding cake designers or bakers and arrange for a tasting.
Four to Six Months Before Your Wedding
- Send save-the-date announcements or call out of town guests to let them know the final date, time, and location of the wedding.Arrange for a tasting with your caterer
- If you're purchasing wedding favors, do so now.
- Start planning your rehearsal dinner. Give the host(s) your guest list.
- Examine your beauty regimen.
- Register for gifts
- Select your wedding cake designer, and order your wedding cake.
- Arrange wedding transportation.
- Order stationery
- Select a calligrapher, if you're using one
- Select the groom's tuxedo or other attire, what the groomsmen will wear, and arrange to purchase or rent.
- Purchase your wedding rings.
- Book wedding night accommodations and accommodations for out-of-town guests.
- Buy gifts for your wedding party, parents, and each other.
- 50% Payment Due to Wiens Family Cellars
Two to Three Months Before Your Wedding
- Give a list of "Must Take" photographs to your wedding photographer.
- Discuss your wedding menu with your wedding coordinator.
- Meet with your officiant to discuss the wedding ceremony.
- Write your wedding vows.
- Attend any bridal showers.
- Mail your wedding invitations.
- Think about your hair and makeup – If you're doing your own, try out hairstyles, purchase any extra makeup, and think about having a "makeover party" with your girlfriends.
- Book your hairstylist and/or makeup artist, if you're using them. Meet with each of them to experiment with styles and colors.
- Schedule your wedding rehearsal and rehearsal dinner.
- If you're going to change your name, complete those documents.
- Send wedding announcements to local newspapers.
The Month of Your Wedding
- Apply for your marriage license.
- Have your final gown fitting. It's helpful to have a bridesmaid with you to learn how to bustle your train and fasten any tricky buttons (and help you go to the bathroom, if you've got a big wedding dress!).
- Check with your bridesmaids and groomsmen to make sure they've gotten their attire, confirm arrival times, and answer any last minute questions.
- Contact your vendors (caterer, officiant, cake baker, photographer, videographer, florist, musicians, transportation, hotels) to confirm arrival and delivery times.
- Write and print your wedding program.
- Create welcome baskets or bags for out-of-town guests.
- Send change-of-address information to post office
- Write thank you cards as you receive wedding gifts.
- Ask your mother or maid of honor to contact any guests who have not RSVP'd.
One to Two Weeks Ahead
- Final Head Count, Final BEO, and Final Payment due no Later than 14 days before wedding.
- Arrange seating plan, and write place cards.
- Write toasts for the rehearsal dinner and reception.
- Try on your wedding shoes, and wear them on carpeted surfaces around the house.
- Arrange for a plant water/pet sitter/babysitter while you are on your honeymoon.
- Pick up your dress.
- Attend your bachelor party or bachelorette party, if you're having them.
- Send your travel plans and contact information to a family member and your house sitter (in case of emergency).
- Finalize seating chart.
The Day Before Your Wedding
- Do something to relax and enjoy the company of your out-of-town friends.
- Assign responsibilities to your wedding party (handing out corsages and boutonnieres, greeting and seating guests, checking on vendors).
- Confirm transportation.
- Have a manicure and pedicure or other pre-wedding spa pampering.
- Give your wedding party gifts.
- Rehearse ceremony.
- Hold rehearsal dinner.
Day of the Wedding
- Give gifts to your parents.
- Enjoy your wedding!